The Columbia University is located in the city of New York, USA. It is a research institution and the oldest in New York. It is ranked by numerous major education publications as among the top ten universities in the world.
The university’s research efforts include but not limited to the following ; the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Goddard Institute for Space Studies and accelerator laboratories with major technology firms such as IBM. The university offers a number of scholarships to students to help them advance their studies; the Obama foundation scholars program is one of such.
This scholarship is an initiative of the University of Columbia through Columbia World Projects aimed rising leaders from around the world who have demonstrated a commitment to finding solutions to challenges in their communities, countries and regions.
- Monthly stipends
- A furnished studio apartment
- All tuition and fees
- Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program
- Air travel to and from home country
- Leadership development program
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country outside the United States, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to these communities following their completion of the program and apply their enhanced training, skills and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Are emerging leaders who have made meaningful contributions to their field and are now at a “tipping point” in their careers
- Are fluent in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Have a demonstrated commitment to humility, integrity, inclusivity, stewardship, fearlessness, imagination and teamwork
Th application is done online and should include the following;
- Complete online application form
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Personal video statement
- Short response to essay questions
- Three letter of recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency
NOTE: There is a waiver for applicants who:
- have completed an undergraduate degree – not a master’s or graduate degree – in a country where English is an official language
- have previously taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exams in the last five years and scored at or above the minimum requirement of 100 (TOEFL-IBT), 600 (TOEFL-PBT), 7.0 (IELTS), or 68 (PTE Academic).
Sponsored by: Columbia University, New York
Funding: Fully funded
Host Country: USA
Institution(s): Columbia University, New York
Eligible Nationality: International Students
Degree Level: Postgraduates studies
Closing date: 13th December, 2019